Doug Coning said the following on 9/26/2003 12:15 PM>>

Greetings All,

I am creating a 'links' page and was wondering if there was a way in PHP
to test the response of an outside link?  I'm sure everyone here has
clicked on a links page link and have a "No Page Found" error because no
one is keeping the links uptodate.  I was wondering if there was a way
when a link was clicked to test the link first to see if it is still
active.  If it isn't active, I would like to remove the link from my
database.

Is there a command that tests the results of link?

Thanks,

Doug Coning
Hi doug,

try something like the function given here
http://shiflett.org/dev/php_post.phps and check the returned headers .. there will be a field which will contain the status code (200 for successful / 404 for page not found etc).

HTH
R'twick