This should not bother you. If you get enough load then .htaccess file is cached in the memory. If your load is moderate then it does not make much difference. And since your webhost enabled this feature they should know what they are doing.

Mike Brum wrote:

I think I know the answer to this, but want some confirmation from someone a
bit more knowledgable about Apache and .htaccess files.

My webhost has the default 404 page set to 404.html. For the sake of
consistancy on a number of levels, I prefer a PHP file for this (404.php).
So to do this, I created a basic .htaccess file for this very purpose and it
sits in the root dir.

Now, does this .htaccess file get read for EVERY resource request on my site
- even when the page is found?

Aside from a META redirect from 404.html to 404.php, is there a less
server-intensive way to set my 404 in Apache when I don't have root access?

Thanks

-M