--- Nicole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I run Apache with PHP and MySQL [snip]
>
> I last increased my max connections to 500. That seemed to fix things
> for a while. Now I am getting the problems (database freezing up
> because too many connections) again. The site I run is pretty high
> traffic.

This has nothing to do with traffic (other than the fact that heavy traffic can
reveal configuration problems more easily).

Are you using persistent connections (mysql_pconnect)? If so, you need to make
sure you have MySQL maximum connections (max_connections in my.cnf) set to a
number that is higher than Apache's MaxClients directive (in httpd.conf). If
you have MaxClients at 512, for example, and MySQL only allows a maximum of 500
connections, you're likely to run into the "too many connections" problems once
your traffic pushes the number of Apache clients past 500.

Hope that helps.

Chris

=====
HTTP Developer's Handbook