--- Robert Cummings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The original post came from someone being lazy, that appears to be
> influencing my take on the thread :)

Understandable. :-)

> Also given the above code, it's completely pointless since the first
> operand is true and so it is impossible for return( 'foo' ) to ever
> be evaluated

I don't think that was the point. You can rewrite it like this if you like:

function foo()
{
     false or return 'foo';
}

I believe the original poster mentioned being lazy to justify why this code is
not used instead:

function foo()
{
     if (!false)
     {
          return 'foo';

The conditional expression itself is irrelevant. This is a question about the
language construct.

> I think anyone coding a return in a conditional like that is asking
> for trouble since I would guess that it has an undefined return
> value.

Well, anyone who tries that code will get a parse error, so that is definitely
an invitation for trouble. The return value would be defined if this worked as
I think it the original poster indended. The 'or' is not a typical conditional
statement, by the way, otherwise this would work just fine.

Hope that helps.

Chris

=====
My Blog