I wouldn't use crypt, instead use one of the proven more secure hashes like md5 or sha1.

For password hashing I'd use md5 (PHP 3 and 4) if you want broad support or sha1 for a little more security (sha1 hasn't been in PHP as long (only since 4.3.0) so you will lose some compatability,

Ryan Thompson wrote:

I know this is an opinion thing but what's the best functions or function set for password encryption?

Currently my project uses md5 but I thinks it's more for checksums isn't it?
Also, is mcrypt used for passwords? I looks like it's a two-way encryption.