I'm not quite sure what you mean. You use a JDBC driver to connect your java
program to an sql db. PHP has an abstracted db layer which parallels the
function of JDBC for the php environment. PHP also has db-specific API's,
which tend to be somewhat faster and can take advantage of specific db
features. Does that help?

--
Julian Wood
Learning Technologies and Digital Media