easiest way  i know to debug FTP is with good old telnet.
just type
telnet yourserver.com 21

If there is a firewall in the way you will get a time out. If not you can login with
user youname
pass your pass

btw if you have access to the FTP server's log file that will probably tell you what's happening or not happening.

all the best

Phil Ewington - 43 Plc wrote:

I can still connect to the ftp server from my client machine using any
number of FTP apps, I also created an ftp test tool, on the same server as I
am currently having problems, that lets you enter an ftp host, username &
password to see if it can connect and login.

I can login to other ftp servers just not the one I want to. Strangely I
managed to get a connection to the suspect ftp server a couple of times then
nothing again. Seems to be an intermittent problem, but it would be nice to
know whether it was a connection that was being dropped by the remote server
or whether there were network issues that stopped the request reaching the
target server.

Phil.