Grant Rutherford wrote:

Alternatively, is there some way that I could generate that file, redirect the user to it, and then delete the file again afterwards? I know how to do all of this except delete the file. Is there some way to schedule a command to be run after the script is finished?

Thanks,
Grant

Hi there,

I would like a user to request the page "view_file.php", and I would like php to generate an arbitrary file and send it to the user. This is all okay, however, I would like to rename the sent page so that the browser doesn't open it in a window as an html file but instead brings up the "open/save" dialog box. I would also like it to do this without creating any new files on my server.

For instance, this is how I would like it to work:

Client requests 'view_files.php',
view_files.php generates the output and sends it to the client as the file 'result031017.txt' with header "Content-Type: text/plain",
The client is presented with an open/save dialog with 'result031017.txt' as the default file name

Please note that the file name itself will be dynamic and part of the output.

I have tried many variations of the header command, but no luck so far. It seems to work okay on Mozilla browsers but not IE.

Can anyone offer any advice, or tell me if this is not going to be possible?

Thanks,
Grant

--
Grant Rutherford
Iders Incorporated
600A Clifton Street
Winnipeg, MB
R3G 2X6
http://www.iders.ca
tel: 204-779-5400 ext 36
fax: 204-779-5444
Iders Incorporated: Confidential
Note: This message is intended solely for the use of the designated
recipient(s) and their appointed delegates, and may contain
confidential information.  Any unauthorized disclosure, copying or
distribution of its contents is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this message in error, please destroy it and advise the sender
immediately by phone, Email or facsimile.