If you want to check for cookie add

echo "cookie = ".$_COOKIE[session_name()];

to the second page.

To check if transparent sessions are enabled look into phpinfo() output -> session.use_trans_sid

Shaun Campbell wrote:
I've tried the suggested code changes and no difference :(  I just don't
think sessions are working for me at all.

I said in my original posting that the second page was creating an empty
file in my session.save_path directory as though the second page has no
reference to the first one.

In my save_path directory I have the following files:

sess_8e603c46412d9c4dd3fa6bf3d98c100f    0 KB File    23/10/2003 10:37
sess_f548763ea84f7d812539720142ac6efe    1 KB File    23/10/2003 10:37

The top one presumably created by page 2 is empty and the bottom one
contains

foo|s:5:"Hello";bar|s:5:"World";

I don't know how sessions work in php and whether they use cookies or not
but it seems to me that the session_start() on page 2 is creating a new
session instead of referring to the current one.

Jason how do I check for those settings? I see nothing in php.ini that
refers to transparent sessions and I believe my browser is accepting
cookies.  Could it be an Apache configuration issue?  I thought sessions
were maintained on the server somehow.

Thanks

Shaun