Hi Raditha.  Thanks very much for your reply.  I've not been having much
luck with this one.

This is how the images should appear:
http://web.unbc.ca/~gossep/sample_images/1.gif
http://web.unbc.ca/~gossep/sample_images/nav-02.jpg

And here is how they appear after being uploaded:
http://web.unbc.ca/~gossep/sample_images/1_uploaded.gif
http://web.unbc.ca/~gossep/sample_images/nav-02_uploaded.jpg

The results to me seem the same as if an image were FTPed in ascii mode
instead of binary mode (or auto-detect which would ultimately set the
mode to binary).

I just downloaded the XVI32 hex editor, but what should I be looking for
when I open the files and examine the contents?

Some other particulars to this situation:

I've tried uploading the same images through the demo site on the
company from which we purchased our editor (www.devedit.com) and they
upload fine, making me certain it's a system setting on my system
causing the problem.

My system is as follows:

Dell Precision 340 Workstation
RedHat 9.0
Apache 2.0
PHP 4.2.2

Thanks with your help, Raditha.  Greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Pablo