Sounds to me like the browser you are using has cookies disabled?

Curious, do you see a parameter in your php.ini labeled session.name?

In fact, why don't you compare your setup to the following from a foxserv
installation of sessions;

Directive                      Local Value                 Master Value
session.auto_start                 Off                        Off
session.cache_expire                 180
180
session.cache_limiter            nocache                          nocache
session.cookie_domain           no value                             no
value
session.cookie_lifetime               0                                    0

session.cookie_path                   /                                    /

session.cookie_secure              Off                            Off
session.entropy_file             no value                  no value
session.entropy_length              0                             0
session.gc_maxlifetime              1440                                1440

session.gc_probability                1                                   1
session.name                    PHPSESSID                   PHPSESSID
session.referer_check            no value                    no value
session.save_handler              files                               files
session.save_path           C:\FoxServ\sessiondata
C:\FoxServ\sessiondata
session.serialize_handler            php                                 php

session.use_cookies                   On                                  On

session.use_trans_sid               1                             1

I have had people (who didn't know what they were doing) change values like
cookie_lifetime and cause sessions to look like they had timed out after the
cookie was distroyed by the browser.

hope this gets you back and running.

Warren