From: "Luis Lebron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I am rebuilding a php application to handle a higher load. The previous
> programmer had created a series of dynamically generated select boxes
using
> a mysql table. Would it be faster or less resource intensive to create a
> series of arrays to generate the select boxes and avoid the database
> queries. I've done some informal testing using Pear Benchmark and it seems
> the array based script usually takes less time.

Yeah, that would be quicker, provided the contents don't change to often.
You should build a cache system where the arrays are recreated every so
often so they stay current (or on demand).

Take a look at var_export(). It will return valid PHP code that you can
write to a file and then include() to recreate your arrays. If the file
doesn't exist, trigger the function to create the array file, etc...

---John Holmes...