It is exactly what you need. And you can lower the sleep time, I think 1 or 2 seconds are just enough.

Glenn Gasner wrote:
The php.net documentation for the sleep and usleep functions has me
confused.  I'm using shared hosting and I need to email my whole mailing
list while not clogging the shared mail server.  What I'm trying to do is
put a pause between each email sent (like 10 seconds) so I can set it up to
send a thousand (or whatever) messages without manually putting time between
batches.  My guess is that I should put a line with sleep(10); inside the
mail sending loop so that it pauses between notes.  However, the Jan-17 note
on the usleep function mentions that these kinds of loops can consume 100%
of CPU while running.  The Jan-29 note on the time() function says that
sleep uses way less CPU than wait(). I don't know how to test CPU usage of
any PHP function.  Is sleep() really so CPU intensive that I should avoid
it, is there a better function to use, or is it exactly what I need and
it'll be no problem even on a shared server?

Thanks!
Glenn Gasner
glenn at perex dot com