"Dan Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > the firewall is configured to block pings from outside - security
reasons - so
> > called stealth mode
>
> No, you are wrong.

If you're going to ask for help, you should take it in whatever form it
comes.  Perhaps he wasn't answering your primary question, but just stating
how it is possible to not have a ping request returned by a valid address.
In which case he is quite right.

 gethostbyname($hostname) correctly resolves my