Torsten, et al --

...and then Torsten Rosenberger said...
%
% > So that program is writing \r\n as the newline instead of just \n. It's
% > still just your editor that's displaying the ^M. Maybe you should get a new
% > editor.
% i use vim

Good :-)

%
% and the input file don't have \r\n they look normal in vim
% after the preg_replace in php then they have the ^M

I suspect that you have a DOS format file which, after replacement, has
a line with only \n (no \r) which makes it a UNIX format file -- with
lots of extra \r chars in there.

Open your source file with vim.  Type

  :set fileformat

and hit return and see what it says (my bet is 'dos').  Type

  :set fileformat=unix
  :wq!

and then run your script again and check the output (my bet is no more ^M
chars).

%
% BR/Torsten

HTH & HAND

:-D
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED] * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"