On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Colin Viebrock wrote:

> > I don't think it belongs in PEAR at all.  I could see the logic behind
> > distributing it with PHP, but don't see any reason to distribute it in
> > pear...
>

> Except that isn't this what PEAR was for all along?  A collection of classes
> and add-on modules to extend PHP's functionality?

Yes.  But the midgard extension doesn't really do that, it provides some
propreitary functions and classes for use by Midgard only.  The reason its
being distributed as an extension is --

a) It helps the Midguard users to have the extension distributed with PHP
(not too sure on why this is so).
b) No one likes reversing commits :)))

> I don't have anything against the Midguard folks personally, but isn't
> distributing Midguard with the main PHP distribution implicitly saying PHP
> supports/prefers the Midguard content management system over any other
> similar system?  What happens when someone else wants *their* system to be
> part of the main PHP distribution?  What criteria are we basing these
> decisions on?

Plus it contributes bloat and doesn't make sense.

> There is also the license issue (which I know has been discussed before).
> But the first thing I read on the Midguard website is:
>
>     Midgard will always implement an OS development to publishing
>     solution, future releases will include APIs for implementing
>     commercial applications.
>
> Are we going to run into trouble down the road when this happens (and end up
> having to take Midguard out of PHP anyway)?
>
> [There is also the fact that Midguard accepts donations and collects
> membership fees ... how is that going to change if Midguard is part of the
> main PHP distribution?]

Don't quite see the problem here, can you spell it out for me :)))?

> And as for Alexander's comment:
>
>     Shouldn't that means that almost all extensions from ext/
>     directory could be classified as PEAR thing?
>
> My opinion is that yes they *could* be classified that way, but it doesn't
> make a lot of sense.  PHP users don't have a choice of which module they
> want to use for Blowfish encryption, for example ... so mcrypt is part of
> the standard distribution.  Perhaps the PDF modules should be, since we have
> several.  I don't know.
>
> But, to me at least, Midguard seems to be code that is a "layer above" what
> I would feel belongs in the main PHP distribution.  In the same way the DB
> abstraction class is (even the C version of it) ... and that they both
> belong in PEAR.

Well, I think a db abstraction layer could and should be distributed.  But
that's off topic.

The midguard code, imho, belongs distributed with midguard, not in pear
(where it doesn't fit)  or as an extension...

> Just my 2 cents (and given without intent to offend).

Same for me.

-Sterling