I am trying to implement a generic form handler that is capable of
printing the form and checking the user input.

I want this application to be useful in the end, but I also use it
to explore OOP in PHP.

The working code at the moment is able to add HTML input elements to
the page. These fields are all objects that get added to the Form
object. When the user submits, the Form object tells all elements to
check their input and create error messages if needed.

So far so good. One of the intended applications is to store
addresses submitted by visitors to our website. We have users from
two countries, with two different zip-code systems.

I could ofcourse create a double check in the zipcode-object, but
this would mean that it would be possible to submit a zipcode from
the other country without any objection by the application.

I'd like the zipcode object to ask a question to find out what
country we're dealing with and then apply the check of the input
depending on the answer.

Although these questions are specific to my application, I guess my
real question is more general. When you have a containerobject that
stores different kinds of elements, how do you give the elements the
ability to learn about their surroundings so they can alter their
behaviour?

I know have:

$foo = new Form();
$foo->addToForm(new Element('country'));
$foo->addToForm(new Element('zipcode'));
$foo->processForm();

I hope I made clear what it is I am trying to do. Hopefully I'll
receive a few hints to help me on my way.

Thanks,
Bob