Php 4.3.4
Win 2000

I am attempting to have the exec function open a file for editing. The file opens, however php hangs until I close the file that was orginally opened. I read in the php manual that states:

"If you start a program using this function and want to leave it running in the background, you have to make sure that the output of that program is redirected to a file or some other output stream or else PHP will hang until the execution of the program ends."

I am not real sure as to what this means and have spent considerable time looking on the www for an answer.

The syntax I am using is this.
system('cmd/c start notepad my.txt', $results);
or
exec('start notepad my.txt', $results);

As stated above the file actually opens for editing, but php hangs in the background until I close the php.ini file. Of course, having php hang until the file editing is done is not the most desirable thing....
What would be the proper syntax for this??

Any help will be much apreciated.

Regards,
Mark