On 11/16/2003 09:50 PM, John Smith wrote:
However, I think that an encoder
should not be part of the default php distribution, because it would
*force* people to use the encoder supplied

and

Also, it would seem that PHP was endorsing one product over another, and
such things are never good.

Yes. The problem that you are describing comes from the fact that there actually are those products. Had that functionality been in the PHP from start, nobody would notice. A burden from history, it is now.

It would be certainly bad for the individual encoding products if PHP
developers decided now to create the encoding right into PHP core, for
example, but, I think it would be good for PHP language to have that feature
by default.

How is there going to be any big business in shrink wrap PHP software if
there isn't a way to protect the source code, other than buying & installing
some additional software to go with it.

That is precisely what I think. I think the hole community could benefit from a more standardization of loading compiled files from disk. That would open a whole new world for more and more companies dedicate to the development of more professional products.

Maybe this thread belongs to php.evangelism...

Forget that list. It is moderated and the moderators boycott subjects that do not interest them. Basically it is censored.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

Free ready to use OOP components written in PHP
http://www.phpclasses.org/