You've been quite helpful for which I thank you very much!
I found an article in phpbuilder.com introducing NCTLS - a class that checks
the preferred languages and looks for a language file untill it finds a
match - now I have it up and running ;-)

There's one more issue that bothers me... :
On my site I have to use both german umlauts (ü for example) and
cyrillic (windows-1251) charset - IE handles them perfectly but NS either
shows windows-1251 chars correctly (when you switch to that encoding of
course) or umlauts, but only if the encoding is iso-88591 in which case I
loose the cyrillic symbols.
What can I do about this?