On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 00:42, Joffrey Leevy wrote:

> Would appreciate in anyone can help me.
>
> Let's say I do a query in php, eg. $query = "select
> shed from structure";  With the mysql_fetch_array
> function and a loop I could see all the values stored
> in the column, shed, using the command: echo $shed;
>
> Let's say now that I am carrying over a variable from
> a form called $form where $form = shed.  I can still
> say $query = "select $form from structure"; because
> $form = shed.
>
> The problem I have now is with the strings and how do
> I see my column values.
>
> Using echo $$value; or echo $($value); or echo
> \$$value; or echo $"$value"; does not give me the
> values stored in the column shed.
>
> Help anyone?
> thanks

I don't understand.. Why would you need a variable variable to retrive
an item from the database?

If you mean you don't know what column the data is going to come from
once the form is submitted can't you just use mysql_fetch_row() instead.
Then you don't need to worry much about what column it came from. If
there's more then one column you'd need to know order. In the loop you
can use something like

for($i = 0; $results = mysql_fetch_row($query); $i++)
{
        echo $results[0]; //$results[0] would always retrieve that column
queried even if change.

}

This is off the top of my head. It should work with a little tweaking.
--
"I have a photographic memory. I just forgot the film" --Unknown