Cesar Cordovez wrote:

> Chris Shiflett wrote:
>> Some Web sites I have visited think it is helpful to use some
>> client-side scripting to move the focus from the first text field to
>> the second after three numbers have been entered.
>
> I think this is the worst thing to do.  If they are going to this
> "jump to the next field when this is full script" why don't they
> put one field
> to start with?  Can somebody explain why some developers do this?

Some possible reasons why:

1. Some developers are preoccupied with creating a "cool" interface, rather
than focusing on what the user finds "usable".

2. Customary separtor punctuation, e.g., the dashes in a social security
number (US), 123-45-6789, can be inserted between the input controls, thus
subtly instructing the user that they don't have to enter the punctuation.

Kirk