>I recommend people don't do this unless their web server is going
>to serve only(or mostly) php pages, and very few straight html pages.
>....the increase in overhead isn't really worth it.

I've tried this in many real-world examples.
I have PHP parsing ALL files on ALL of my 8 Linux servers.
(I do virtual hosting for 500 or so domains.)

Even though they're running on weak little Cobalt RaQ boxes, there has been
no measurable slowdown since I switched Apache to having PHP parse all files.

I know, in THEORY, it slows it down.  I haven't done deep deep
benchmarks.  But just real-world experience has been great.  No slowdown at
all.