* Thus wrote David T-G ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> %
> % On the left side where are usualy line numbers is "+" and you can group
> % functions, classes or  custom defined blocks of code.
>
> ... vim does a nice job "folding", which sounds like what you describe.
> I tend to use foldmarkers and be picky, but it has a number of ways
> including some fairly automated approaches to define the folds ("blocks").

My thoughts exactly, folding works great. You can navigate a file
with 30 functions/classes all in one screen. There is even a plugin
for vim that creates a left side code navigation. It creates a list
of all the functions and by clicking on them, the right side jumps
to that function.

An example of the folding display:

+--  49 lines: function foo($param1, $param2) { ---------------
+--  65 lines: function foo2($param1, $param2) { --------------