Hmm... Well Rasmus, I do see your point, however it still seems to me it
'should' at least compile and work as I expect it to.

My way, the logic is that the file *is* 'required' (whereas I view 'include'
files as optional), and I want to exit the program with a graceful message
instead of the fatal error (which doesn't really doesn't tell me what the
problem is -- "Failed opening required '1'" doesn't mean anything to me or
the user) that is shown. My intent was to put a  @require_once() so that I
could do just that. Especially since I'm running my script on the command
line, and your stock fatal error message uses HTML tags.

Not a critical bug or a show stopper, but I do still feel it is a bug.