Yves:

I am not sure of the exact technical issues that affect it, but when I was
forced to use it in a production environment (does anyone actually admit to
CHOOSING to use it?  anyway....) I received a lot of errors on includes,
intermittently.  This was most noticable when using phpmyadmin - but it was
noticed throughout the application.  Errors including a file, then you
refresh and there are no errors.

In general the webserver was very unstable, prone to hanging processes and
needing the webserver stopped and restarted.  In the beginning it was no big
deal - once twice a week, but in the last 3 weeks it has been 5-6 times a
day.

We just switched to Apache 1.3.2 (using PHP 4.3.4 on both machines.) and we
have had 0 problems across the board in 3 days of operation now.

So there you go - if you are OK with instability then go for it - if not,
choose Apache 1.3.x

PS.  Anyone out there know/work with PLESK?  6.0 comes with Apache 2.0 and
PHP 4.3.something - I want to 'downgrade' it to apache 1.3 - but *shrug* no
idea.  If there is anyone out there that has done It successfully, msg me
offline to chat.  WHY OH WHY do these companies not work WITH the php
community?  If only they had asked....  Itools is the same way (server
manager for Mac OSX - for the love of GOD DO NOT EVER USE IT!!!!! That is
what was forced upon us and caused the above problems - you could not use it
unless you used Apache 2, and they 'said' that there are no 'instabilities'
with PHP - either they lied or just have a terrible QC division!!!)

On 12/5/03 1:00 PM, "Yves Arsenault" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Would anyone know of the issues that might affect PHP 4.3.4 and Apache
> 2.0.48 ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Yves

Cheers

Mike Morton

*
* Tel: 905-465-1263
* Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
*

"Indeed, it would not be an exaggeration to describe the history of the
computer industry for the past decade as a massive effort to keep up with
Apple."
- Byte Magazine

Given infinite time, 100 monkeys could type out the complete works of
Shakespeare. Win 98 source code? Eight monkeys, five minutes.
-- NullGrey