Thanks all.  I guessed that it was something built in to PHP, although I was surprised
when I couldn't find a good explanation in the usually excellent docs.  -Bob Mc

>>> "Ford, Mike               [LSS]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 12/10/03 11:29AM >>>
On 10 December 2003 16:19, ROBERT MCPEAK contributed these pearls of wisdom:

> Has anybody seen the seemingly automatic and unexplained
> conversion of the character "." to "_" in $_POST var names?

Yes.  It's PHP automagic by PHP.

> I've tested several ways, with and without PHP, and I've dug
> around in the HTML specs and can't find a good explanation.
> Can anybody shed some light on this?  Can this be overridden?

It's explained at
http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.external.php#language.variab
les.external.dot-in-names, and no, it can't be overridden.

Cheers!

Mike

Beckett Park, LEEDS,  LS6 3QS,  United Kingdom
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]