Why you are using IP address? (No DNS MX record for the host??)
Anyway, SMTP server can work w/ IP address, but many programs tries to look up
DNS MX records for SMTP server. I guess PHP trying to get MX records for the IP.
I didn't look into code, I can easily be wrong.
(SMTP server should have MX record(s), if it is configured properly.)

Try to use name (i.e. mail.example.com) instead.

Regards,

--
Yasuo Ohgaki