> Now I'm guessing that magic_quotes_runtime is the
> one I need to have on, but is that so? I'm also
> guessing that aside from using addslashes() and
> stripslashes(), I could prob'ly turn on magic_quotes
> in php_ini.
>
> But perhaps because of how I've heard turning
> register_globals on via php.ini is a security
> hazard, I'm leery of messing with php.ini at all.

Magic Quotes is not a security hazard (quite the opposite) so turning it on
shouldn't be dangerous.
I don't suppose the book tells you why you should always use magic-quotes or
addslashes when
dealing with databases? If you do not use form-data in a database-query you
generally won't need
magic-quotes or addslashes(). I guess that's the reason some of those
magic_quotes_xyz are not
enabled in the php.ini.

It's easy enough to check whether you have the magic quotes you need. Write
a simple form-page
that simply displays what was posted, then post something like: "I'll be
back"
If the page displays: \"I\'ll be back\" then you're safe and don't need to
use addslashes().

/Andreas