[snip]
 I've had the most luck using the pop-up window method. In the <form>
element I call onSubmit="{open some window here}" This works as the
pop-up
appears while the file is transferring. Here's where I run into
problems.
I've tried all kinds of examples found on google and can never get it
work right.

 In the script where my form goes to, I'm supposed to use a <body
onLoad="window.close()" call to close my pop-up. I've actually tried
this
2 ways. I've used it as afore mentioned as well as <body onUnload="">
on
the page containing the form. Either my pop-up stays open or I close
the
parent window.
[/snip]

If I understand you correctly, when you call window.close on the next
page you want it to close the child window.  I am not sure if this is
possible
with Javascript if you go to a new page, it might be.  You would want
to not call window.close but something like myPopUp.close() on the next
page.

Someone else might be able to shed so more light on it.  Keep in mind
that more and more users are blocking all pop ups.