It looks like your form tag is missing some attributes needed to point
your browser to the script as to where to submit the data.

if you were to try with your form tag as <form
action="___SCRIPT_ITSELF_FILENAME___" method="post"> ??

Andrew.

ps: if that doesn't work, may I recommend inserting
   echo("<pre>"); print_r($_POST); echo("</pre>");
to see what your post data is?

> Okay, everyone, here's some real progress.
>
> I retyped the file from scratch. I'm both attaching it--it's not a big
file--and printing it below:

> <head>
> <title>persistence demo</title>
> </head>
> <h1>Persistence Demo</h1>
> <form>
> <?php
>
> $txtBoxCounter = $_POST['txtBoxCounter'];
> $hdnCounter = $_POST['hdnCounter'];
>
> //increment the counters
> $txtBoxCounter++;
> $hdnCounter++;
>
> print <<<HERE
>
> <input type = "text"
> name = "txtBoxCounter"
> value = "$txtBoxCounter">
>
> <input type = "hidden"
> name = "hdnCounter"
> value = "$hdnCounter">
>
> <h3>The hidden value is $hdnCounter</h3>
>
> <input type = "submit"
> value = "click to increment counters">
>
> HERE;
>
> ?>
>
> </form>
>
> My results were mixed, but definitely moved me forward.
>
> The H1 head--Persistence Demo--displayed, as did a field with the number
"1" in it.

> After a blank line was printed "The hidden value is 1".
>
> That was followed by another blank line space, and then a button with
"click to increment counters in it".

> When I click the button, I get a box dropping down that says the info
I've entered "is to be sent over an unencrypted connection" and could be
read by