I searched the archives and Google but couldn't find a solution.

I would like to know if there is a good server independent method method for
optimizing URLs that contain GET queries for search engines.  Server URL
rewriting (i.e. mod_rewrite, etc...) is not an option unless it is
compatible with ALL http servers.  I would like to write a portable PHP
script, not a PHP/Apache script or PHP/IIS script.

Any way that is good for search engines, especially replacing ? and & with /
would be great.

I know that most probably use Apache but I have "heard" tales of
multi-platform ways to do this, but have never "seen" the solution.

TIA,
Shawn