From: "Ryan A" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Thanks for the very informative reply but I did try it....problem is, it
> seems to work with and without...thats why the confusion.
>
> I have one program like the one i outlined and the second one, like this:
>
> some html code goes here
> some output stuff goes here
> something <? php stuff?>
> something something
> etc
>
> Which was working fine...
> thats why i got confused.

Okay... I guess I could see that. The include is going to start in HTML
mode. That's why the above works because you're starting with HTML. If the
include file is all PHP code, then the file is still going to start in HTML
mode, though. So you have to open PHP mode with <?php.

Now, that being said, there was a discussion on here a while ago that you
don't _really_ have to close PHP mode at the end of your file and there were
certain pros and cons to doing so. Adapt to your needs.

---John Holmes...