Hi all,

My hosting company won't let me use rewrite rules in my Apache configuration files,
and told me to use "the php header() functions and a .htaccess file" instead of the
rewrite rules.  I don't know php and I'm looking over some php help files right now,
but I found this list and was hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  Or
tell me that this won't work.

What I want to do is have a visitor to my web site enter a userid after the domain
name, and have apache or php grab the userid and send it to a script.  Something like
this:

http://domain.name/denny  =>  http://domain.name/cgi-bin/script.cgi?userid=denny

Can this be done with php?  I already have another page with a login form that will
send someone to the script.  For marketing reasons, I don't want login forms or other
ways of getting them there.  I'm assuming the use of the .htaccess will involve the
normal popup box asking for a userid/password.  Can that be avoided?

Thanks

Denzil