PROBLEM

I'm trying to insert information from a query string into sql.

I have a table with content. The column headers have up and down arrows
allowing the user to sort and order by that column.

PHP

I have default settings set for the variables.
If I change the default values the SQL results changes. (good)
I can get the query string variables outside the sql.

<?php print "$category $section"; ?>

However I can't seem to insert the query string variables into the sql.

<?php

        function whatever(){

        $username = "";

        // setting the default variables

        if(!isset($category)){$category="Something";}
        if(!isset($section)){$section="SomethingElse";}

        [EMAIL PROTECTED]($hostname,$username,$password);
        mysql_select_db($database);
        $selection = mysql_query("
                                        SELECT *
                                        FROM classes