by "using HTML" I meant, typing the address in to the broswer as http://username:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/protected/file.pdf or as using the HTML: <a href="http://username:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/protected/file.pdf">Link...</a> or using the header: header("Location: http://username:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/protected/file.pdf");

>also, there is no problem retrieving a pdf after passing http basic authentication (I just double checked this on a client's site and was appropriately prompted with a pdf handling dialog box after I authenticated).

Of course there is not problem if the user is entering the information him or her self. But just using this code:

$file = 'http://miningstocks.com/protected/Dec03PostPress.pdf';
//now view the PDF file
header("Content-Type: application/pdf");
header("Accept-Ranges: bytes");
header("Content-Length: ".filesize($file));
readfile($file);

from a PHP page where no authentication has occured does not work at all.

Let me say, if this is not clear, that I do not want unique usernames and passwords for users. I want one username and password that WILL NEVER BE SEEN by the user.

The way that I had planned was to keep ONE username and password which would allow access to all the files in a MySql database. After the user entered his name and email address, the username and password would be fetched off the database, and then authentication would occur with this username and password and the user would be served the file. The authentication would be completely transparent to the user. But the different ways to authenticate transparent to the user either do not work or reveal the username and password (making it pointless to even protect the files in the first place).

Best Regards,

Scott Taylor

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

there are a couple of different ways to do this.

the "http basic" approach will work just fine. with http basic the id/pw are passed in the headers in an encoded string, so i'm not certain about your:

if using HTML, the username & password is easily seen

statement.

also, there is no problem retrieving a pdf after passing http basic authentication (I just double checked this on a client's site and was appropriately prompted with a pdf handling dialog box after I authenticated).

now, http basic assumes that the id/pw are in a file/database/etc. the password is generally encrypted (des or md5) but can be in clear text. so, for this to work, you'd probably need some type of registration page that will store the id/pw info that the apache server will query against. [i strongly recommend using a database, not a file, due to file locking issues.]

other approaches to this general issue include a URL mapping scheme. e.g., the public URL would drive the user through a one-time email/name collection process. when the user passes that they are served the document from the actual storage location. they can be done in a way that the true document URL is never shown. obviously you'd have to do this in a way that would give the fake URL as a .pdf so that the client will handle things correctly.