<snip>
I'm really curious to see if any of this really works. I know it
_should_,
but...

Assuming a shared/virtual server where all session files for all sites
are
in the same location. When the garbage collector is triggered by a
request
to the site with this setting in .htaccess, does it honor this setting
for
all of the files? It doesn't know which ones were created just for
this
site, right? So if another site has the default setting (no .htaccess)
and a
request to that site triggers garbage collection, will this site's
files be
deleted if they are more than 1440 (default) seconds old?
</snip>

Interesting question.  I dont know the answer.  From the manual it
looks like php garbage collection (at least on filesystems that are not
FAT) uses atime to determine how long to keep sessions around.  So, in a
shared envirenment, how would other websites know what the timeout of
another website on that same box be would be?

<snip>
I realize you can set your own storage location (recommended), but
you'll
also then have to implement your own garbage collection routine. If you
have
to implement your own routine, then changing session.gc_maxlifetime
doesn't
make much sense as you're going to code it into your routine anyhow...
</snip>

If you just change the session.save_path variable for one site on your
box to something like /tmp/onesite, do you still have to write your own
garbage routine?  Wont the autamatic php garbage collection know to only
cleanup sessions in the /tmp/onesite directory?