>Let the db server handle query/cache consistency ... why put yet another
>server in the way that will have to be triggered by the underlying db to
>clear ITS cache?

Very true, but tests I've done in the past with PostgreSQL and
MySQL-driven PHP sites show that adding a simple static file cache (for
data that changes rarely) can make a world of difference on a
heavily-loaded site, trimming response times by 90% in some cases.

A database server by nature must assume that all data is equally mutable.
An application developer, however, knows by design how "fresh" any one
piece of data needs to be and can cache accordingly. E.g., don't hit the
database for your site's navigational structure or news articles every
single time, if these things don't change more than a few times per week.