ok obviously you would need to store the content in the database, how else
can you make it easy to edit for a user ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Aidan Lister [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 12:50 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] Re: XSL

I'll tell you the reasons I am doing it, then some other useful information.
You can make your own mind up.

The company I work for receives publications from all over the world, these
publications are usually word documents or HTML docs.
Most of the papers come through with an excessive amount of HTML mark-up,
and poorly defined HTML trees (no h1/h2/h3, etc).

After spending many hours formatting papers into raw semantic html (removing
all html mark-up, and allowing the CSS to format it properly) I decided
there must be a better way. I thought about storing the info in a database,
but decided it would be too complicated to move about. XML was the way to
go.

After converting my first paper to XML, I then attempted to format it with
XSL. The power I had over the article now was breath taking. I could do
whatever manipulations I wanted (generate a contents page, show only the
abstract, show more detail about the authors...) simply by changing the XSL
style.

Why do this with XSL, and not hardcore it in PHP using an XML parser?
XSL is now a web standard. I can port this XSL stylesheet to any server,
with or without php support. (although browsers don't like doing the
transformations themselves completely yet, although IE is pretty close). It
just made sense.

As for converting an entire website, that's up to you - I haven't, but I am
thinking about it.

Here is some reading material:
http://pawscon.com (recently converted the entire site to XML/XSL. A big
move from the "Php and web standards" group.
http://www.webmasterbase.com/article/595
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/602

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]