I'm not sure if we're on the same wavelength, but this might help you.

I recently installed Apache, PHP and MySQL as part of a preconfigured package from "Apache Friends" (XAMPP). The entire suite was installed at C:/xampp, and the Apache folder is at C:/xampp/apache/

At first, I couldn't find the htdocs folder, until I realized it wasn't inside the Apache folder; it's at C:/xampp/htdocs/

I use Dreamweaver, and I store all my websites in this folder: C:/sites/

When I installed XAMPP, typing http://localhost/ into my broswer led me to XAMPP's home page. To change it to my sites folder, I went into C:/xampp/apache/conf/httpd, and changed DocumentRoot from whatever it was (C:/xampp/htdocs, I think) to the following:

DocumentRoot "C:/sites"

However, I'm using Windows XP.