From: Chris Hayes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 1:04 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] Googlebot (not another rtfm-mail)

At 17:58 28-1-04, you wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 11:51:06 -0500, Michael Mulligan wrote:
> > Googlebot visits my site occasionally and follows a lot of my PHP links
> > with long query strings...

>same here, google has been indexing my php site for over 3 years now :)

I find the google site is NOT very helpful for PHP guidelines, considering
my experiences.

I used the error_document 404 redirect trick to use short links and it took
some time to realise that Google boycotted that, probably because it gets a
404.

Also links with a long parameter string of (5 parameters, >30 characters)
were ignored.  As far as I could see Google only indexed 1 index.php page.
So I had to overhaul the whole link logic of my cms. I now use mod_rewrite
too.

But I have seen sites with only an one parameter (?ID=11) being indexed.

Be aware that javascript links and form buttons are unlikely to be indexed.

Chris

error please notify Safe Air Ltd immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Safe Air.