1. Using [] creates a new array element. Hence the error. You can try this
piece of code inside the loop

[code]
        if (strstr ($file, '.jpg')){

                $refPictures = & $pictures[];

        $refPictures = $file;
              print $refPictures;
        }
[/code]

$refPictures holds a reference to the newly created element of the $pictures
array. Therefore, by assigning $file to $refPictures, $file is actually
getting assigned to the newly created element of the $pictures array. The
same logic applies in the print statement

2. Again, using [] in the var_dump indicates that you are trying to create a
new element of the $pictures array. If dumping the contents of the entire
array along with their data types and such is what you are trying to
achieve, the correct syntax is

[code]
        var_dump($pictures);
[/code]