I spoke with the good folks over at the FSF, and figured out how to do this. The PHP License itself does not restrict the use code under it. The problem was with the GPL, which restricted the use of code under the GPL being paired with code under certain types of licenses (specifically licenses that are non-copyleft). The PHP license is non-copyleft, and, so, it is not GPL compatible. Thus, an exception must be made by the copyright owner of the GPL'd code. The wording for the exception is found at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs .

Specifically, in this case, I chose to use the following wording, and the folks at FSF told me this was fine:

<snip>
In addition, as a special exception, Ben Ramsey gives permission to link the code of this program with those files in the PEAR library that are licensed under the PHP License (or with modified versions of those files that use the same license as those files), and distribute linked combinations including the two. You must obey the GNU General Public License in all respects for all of the code used other than those files in the PEAR library that are licensed under the PHP License. If you modify this file, you may extend this exception to your version of the file, but you are not obligated to do so. If you do not wish to do so, delete this exception statement from your version.
</snip>

Since certain PEAR packages are licensed under the modified BSD and LGPL licenses, then this exception does not need to be made for those packages; these licenses are already GPL compatible.

Thus, I can release my application under the GPL and satisfy its requirements to include the PEAR packages licensed under the PHP license.

I hope this helps someone else out there, as well. ;-)