Hello,

I use a random password function to do just that,

function randomPassword($length = 8) {
   // all the chars we want to use
   $all = explode( " ",
         "a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z "
         . "A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z "
         . "0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 _");

    for($i=0;$i<$length;$i++) {
      srand((double)microtime()*1000000);
      $randy = rand(0, 61);
      $pass .= $all[$randy];
    }

     return $pass;
}

$new_filename = randomPassword(10);

For the delete of the file, unlink is your answer:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.unlink.php

hope it help!
py

At 12:05 PM 3/24/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Is there an easy way to create random numbers and letters for a file example
>

>http://www.mydomain.com/1w2e3rff.txt
>
>and then after they download it have it be deleted off the server?
>

>thanks
>
>randy
>
>--

+ Pierre-Yves Lem@ire