You might be able to use Javascript to get some information off of the
client browser and maybe populate some form elements or something, but I
don't know of any way to automatically send environment information to
your linux server.  I know Javascript has functions built into it for
getting screen height and width and such.  Probably other things as
well.

On the server itself you can use the $_ENV superglobal to get it's
environment information (see the listing in phpinfo()), but getting it
from the browser is a little trickier.

Some things can be obtained in other ways.  For example, a
hack/workaround for getting a user's login name on a Windows network
(with a Windows server) is to put this into your code:

  $ipaddress = $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"];
  $nbtstat = "nbtstat -A ". $ipaddress;
  exec ($nbtstat,$result);

  foreach ($result as $row) {
    if (strpos($row,"<03>")) $username = strtok($row," ");
  }

Basically this uses the IP address of the client, does an "nbtstat" on
it and parses all the entries containing "<03>" to get the username.
This works ok.. Unless the person is logged into more than one machine
at a time, then you usually get the machine name instead.  Not great,
but if it's your only way of snagging a username, then so be it.

Maybe if you tell us what environment information you're trying to pass
to the server, someone has a workaround like this specifically for that
variable.  If it's for just some userset variable, then I'm really not
sure how you'd do that.  If you do find a way, please share!  Could be
useful to lots of people.

Good luck!

-TG