Ah ha!

I think I found where the problem lies(and also our confusing
disconnect).  Even though you and I were doing pretty much the same
thing, your case worked fine in the instance where the parameter being
submitted in the self submitting form was only one word.  If you changed
your test case to something like "hi there" (which is what I was using
in my testing), it breaks.  Why?  The parameter needs to be urlencoded
first.

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions, Toby!  I really
appreciate your time and effort in helping me to see the light.

--Sam