Hello Axel,

AIM> Guys, this isn't THAT stupid of a question is it? From my perspective,
AIM> the way PHP seems to see it is that I should already know what kind of
AIM> file I'm looking at. In most cases that's not an unreasonable
AIM> assumption. Unfortunately, that's only good for most cases. PHP is rich

Even Windows doesn't *know* what type of file you've got until you
actually try and open it. You could rename a jpg to mp3 and you won't
know about it until Winamp moans at you as you open it.

AIM> in ways to work with the HTTP protocol, but has no way of detecting
AIM> whether it's opening a text file or a binary file. To me this is a
AIM> glaring omission. There has to be a way to do it, even if it's a
AIM> round-a-bout or backdoor kind of way. Nothing is impossible.

You could say it's a glaring omission from operating systems too,
because most succumb to this. The only way to tell for sure is to read
in the header of the file and parse it. If you are blanket rejecting
all binaries - good luck, it'll take ages. Another solution might be
to just treat the file as text regardless and strip out every byte
that is above the standard ASCII value. Hello CPU upgrade requirement.

--
Best regards,
 Richard Davey