<snip>
What kind of a log file are we talking here? regardless what processing
you need to do generally working on a 1.2GB file with out RAID and/or
lots of memory is going to be slow.

Pablo Gosse wrote:

>Hi folks.  Has anyone encountered any problems parsing large log files
>with PHP?
>
>I've got a log file that's about 1.2 gig that I need to parse.
>
>Can PHP handle this or am I better of breaking this down into 12 100mb
>chunks and processing it?
</snip>

It's an Apache log file.

I'm going to have to parse this file outside of the web server, probably
on my desktop machine.  It's a Dell Precision with 1GB RAM running RH9
with Apache and PHP 4.2.2.

If I can get the log file broken down into 100MB chunks I assume this
would not be a problem?

I've not attempted to deal with the file yet as I didn't know how PHP
would react to a 1.2 gig file, and I'm in the final stages of a very
important project and cannot afford any downtime.

I assume PHP can handle 100MB chunks without choking.

Cheers and TIA.

Pablo