I am afraid that I don't get the same problem that you do.  If I request
frameset.html in my browser I get the text that you are echoing in your
PHP statement in the top frame.

Is it possible that your resolution is such that you need to scroll in
the top frame to see it?  Try viewing the source of the top frame to see
if the contents of your echo statement is in there.

--Sam