I think your best bet is to only show product titles, and possibly a bit
of the summary or something in the catalogue, then have the user click
the product to view full information on it.
this takes 2 db calls, one to load the limited info of all products, and
one to load all info on one product.

I think if you get into servlets and such, your going to run up other
resource problems for the sake of saving very little.

Jason